Can horses get sick from moldy hay?

Don’t feed moldy hay to horses. Most moldy hay problems are from mold spores, which can produce respiratory disease in horses. Many of the common mold toxins develop in the field during a delayed harvest.

What happens if my horse eats moldy hay?

Horses that eat moldy hay can die or show no ill effects at all. … Hay with mold is dangerous for horses to eat; it can be toxic, cause colic and respiratory diseases like heaves.

Will moldy feed hurt horses?

Moldy or spoiled hay and feed can cause colic symptons in horses. … However, if their diet is fairly restrictive, they may eat moldy food they normally would leave. In addition to colic, mold spores in hay can also contribute to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, also known as heaves.

Can moldy hay cause colic in horses?

Moldy hay can cause digestive upset that can lead to abdominal pain (colic), sometimes serious. In rare cases, hay containing toxic molds can cause life-threatening illness.

What kind of mold grows on hay?

Molds commonly found in hay include Alternaria, Aspergillus, Cladosporum, Fusarium, Mucor, Penicillium, and Rhizopus. These molds can produce spores that cause respiratory problems, especially in horses and, under some conditions, will produce mycotoxins.

IT IS INTERESTING:  Question: How long is long horse?

How do you remove mold from hay?

To eliminate mold commonly found in hay bales, West Chester, Pa., equine veterinarian Frank Reilly suggests “flash soaking” — tearing pieces of hay off of the bale, putting them in a hay net and then under a heavy rock in a bucket of water for 10 minutes. Studies have shown this reduces the organic dust count, he says.

What is the white stuff on hay?

A principal concern for cattle is the total amount of mycelium and spores combined or the total “fungal biomass.” In hay, the white mold in the bale is the mycelium and dustiness is from the tiny spores.

Can horses eat hay that has been rained on?

Hay that has gotten wet and is fed immediately is perfectly fine to feed to horses, and a bale of hay that has been rained on and then dried thoroughly, and fed within a week or so is also not going to cause any problem whatsoever.

Can moldy hay make a horse cough?

Horses that suffer an allergy to hay can be allergic to either the hay dust or to the mold that can grow in the hay. Signs of wheezing, sneezing and coughing are indications that your horse is having an allergic reaction to airborne dust or mold.

Can horses eat dirty hay?

Avoid horse hay that shows any sign of mold or musty smell. These have been known to cause coughing, heaves and emphysema. Avoid dusty or dirty hay. … Horses tend to throw their hay around as they rummage for the good bits, so you’ll need a good 8′ by 8′ of ground cover for your horses feeding area.

IT IS INTERESTING:  Your question: What is a horse carriage driver called?

What hay is bad for horses?

Some hay types are particularly prone to high nitrate levels and should be avoided if there are options. These include: Sorghum, Sudan, Johnsongrass and Pearl Millet. High levels of simple carbohydrate (sugars, starch) are an issue for horses with insulin resistance and can occur in virtually any type of hay.

At what temperature does hay mold?

“Hay bale temperatures of 120°F to 130°F will likely result in mold growth and will make the protein in the hay less available to animals,” Hartschuh says. While these temperatures will not cause fires, continued mold growth can raise temperatures to dangerous levels.

How long before hay goes bad?

Storing Hay

You can store hay indefinitely if the stack is managed correctly; although, in humid climates, using hay within three years of harvest is ideal. Hay growers need to bale it at correct moisture levels because if it’s baled too damp the hay will generate heat, which leads to molding.